What is Beep?
Why this app?
BEEP is an online system for beekeepers launched on July 14th 2017. It can replace paper-based record keeping. Because it is a digital system, it allows for new possibilities such as managing and consulting the data on the bee colonies from any location and device. The BEEP webapp can be accessed from any device with an internet browser such as your mobile phone, tablet or desktop computer. The platform has the same features on all devices and the data is the same everywhere. Fundamentally a manual record keeping app, it will also be possible to use automatically measuered data, such as the weight of a hive, using sensors with the app. And the BEEP app will be further enhanced and extended based on your feedback.
- To modernise beekeeping practices:
- Beekeepers have more detailed and timely information on the status of the colonies they take care of contributing to data driven decision making
- Information exchange and collaboration between beekeepers
- Inspire and assist new beekeepers
- Contribute to the conservation of our nature by helping more bees to survive
- Systematically register data for scientific analysis
The design and development of the BEEP app is done by: Iconize (Pim van Gennip and Bente Deenekamp), Beelease (Dirk Dekker, Oscar van den Bosch and Jaap van Dijk) and Marten Schoonman. A crowdfunding campaign, organised by Beelease, and sponsoring by the following organisations make BEEP possible: Bijenkasten.nl, DeLaMar theater, Elho, Firma Avontuur vormgevers, Iconize, Schulp Vruchtensappen b.v., SIDN Fonds, Stuurgroep LIB en VBVB ICT. The continued development and application of BEEP is done with the following parties: Fablab De Kaasfabriek, Hiveeyes, Naturalis Biodiversity Centre, NBV, en de Tilburgse Stadsimkerij. Please get in touch, if you want to get involved in this open source initiative.